Around 60% of your body is made up of water and it plays a vital role in maintaining good bodily functions.
Around 60% of your body is made up of water and it plays a vital role in maintaining good bodily functions. Everyday no matter whether the weather is cold or warm staying hydrated is super important. I recommend every morning when you wake up consume a glass of water. Over night your body becomes dehydrated (due to no liquid consumption for a period of time).
My recommendation is always Hydrate before you Caffeinate!
How much to drink?
In general, I would recommend consuming at least 6-8 glasses of fluid a day even when exercising. If you have been sweating more then usual consume more liquids.
Another more accurate scale to tell your hydration is by the colour of your urine.
What to drink?
Water is a healthy and cheap choice for quenching your thirst at any time. It has no calories and contains no sugars that can damage teeth. Plain tea, fruit tea and coffee (without added sugar) can also be healthy.
If you do not like the taste of plain water, try sparkling water or add a slice of lemon or lime.
Benefits of staying hydrated:
- Improved mood. Studies have shown that fatigue is greater and alertness is reduced when someone is dehydrated.
- Aids in joint function. It’s estimated that 70 – 80% of your joint cartilage consists of water. If you are hydrated, then the gel-like liquid provides nutrition, shock-absorption, lubrication, and cushioning in the joints.
- Cleanses your body, it delivers vital nutrients to cells around the body.
- Improved sleep quality and decreases chance of dehydration when you wake up.
- Maximises sports performance. This is a result from all the other benefits. Also, as you sweat when training it dehydrates you therefore if you do not replenish your body will feel worse.
I would recommend being super attentive to water intake and hydration levels. The picture earlier stated is a great way to stay on top of hydration levels. A good idea would be to have a drink every 15-20 minutes throughout the day.
And finally remember HYDRATE BEFORE YOU CAFFEINATE.